IGP* COLLINES RHODANIENNES
SYRAH "LES CANDIVES" 2013
• Origin: selection of the best vines in Chavanay. "Les Candives” is not a district but the local name for Syrah.
• Soils: granitic, shallow.
• Varieties planted: syrah.
• Cultivation: plots are grass-covered to fight erosion. No insecticides or pesticides, few treatments (depending on weather), small amount of organic-only fertiliser, with respect of soil and vine balance. Vigour and yield control, leaf-thinning and green harvesting to promote grape maturation. Mechanisation is possible, but manual work is preferred.
• Vinification: the grapes are hand-picked, then sorted, destemmed and crushed. Alcoholic-fermented in open vats. Macerated for about 2 weeks. Fermented with native yeasts.
• Maturing: 8 months in barriques.
• Alcohol content: 12% Alc./Vol.
• Output: approx. 11,200 bottles.
• Style: Gourmand and rustique wine. Dark and red fruit nose. Notes of pepper and liquorices. Fleshy on the palate, nice tannins and a velvety finish.
• Ageing: best drunk young, up to 3-4 years.
• Food match: meat, and fish with dense-textured flesh (e.g. tuna à la provençale).